World Cup Data Viz Update
Some notes about the knockout stage:
- 3 of the 4 quarterfinal matches featured goals in the first fifteen minutes of the game.
- 20 of 28 penalty kick in the tie-breakers have been goals.
- Belgium had 38 (!) shots agains the USA. Tim Howard.
- So far teams have averaged 0.96 goals per game in the knock-out stage.
- 50% (6 of 12) of games in the knock-out stage were tied at the end of regulation. 3 of those games went to a shootout.
Some interesting notes:
- Greece scored only 2 goals and still advanced out of the group stage. They were also the only team to advance to the knock-out stage with a negative goal differential.
- Switzerland allowed 6 goals and still made it out of the group stage.
- Cameroon, Australia, and Honduras were the only teams that did not score a point. Cameroon was -8 in goal differential, which was the worst in the group stages.
- Croatia scored 6 goals and did not advance.
- Italy, Ecuador, and Russia allowed only 3 goals in the group stage, but none of them managed to advance to the knock-out round.
- Every team with a positive goal differential advanced to the knock-out stage. Uruguay, Nigeria, and the USA advanced with goal differentials of 0.
- Ecuador and Portugal both scored 4 points, but neither advanced.
- The Netherlands scored 10 goals in the group stage.
- Teams averaged 1.42 goals per game in the group stage.
- Teams scored 0.8 goals less in regulation in the knock-out stages compared to the group stage.
- Belgium was the only to team to win their group without scoring the most goals in their group.
Posted on July 5, 2014, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment